Another major assessment over, another semester gone. I’m glad I managed a couple of studies despite changing my idea completely and restarting a few weeks before. My proposal is on self-portrait, through the act of looking at self in the mirror. You can see a progression of style in my studies from a representational manner, color studies, close-ups, to almost abstraction. I will probably explore more in the future following the style and concept of final painting.
Childhood and Identity
32 x 57.5cm, Pastel on Paper
My first attempts at pastel painting, I kinda like it. Identity is a theme that I’m keen on exploring for my paintings. These imageries are my memories of childhood spent at my grandma’s village. I am especially drawn to the collection of bowls my grandma has, there’s a scent of tradition and family. More pastel paintings to come:)
Cabinet of Curiosity
I got an old briefcase from my dad and turned it into a pop-up book. Thanks to everyone who donated to me unused children books and allowing me to mutilate them. This is childhood dreams and memories stored in a briefcase. The viewer is welcomed to spin his own stories from the myriad of illustrated pop-ups.
Still Life project. I’m studying on creases and folds, the subject is just crumpled papers. Final drawings are in A2 sizes and a couple of small studies.
Body parts project. I’m trying to capture the actions that our body does everyday, as can be seen in my studies. For the final 2 drawings though, I decided to focus on eating. Got Kun to model for me again. This is probably the most detailed pen drawing I’ve done, what a sweet torture.
Final drawings for the architectonic project. Super trees day and night view, A3 sizes.
The Pathlight Experience
School started this semester with an unexpected project. The painters were told about a collaboration with the Pathlight School for autistic students. There would be 10 teams doing 10 pieces of 1x2m canvas each to form a huge mural at the end. So I formed a team with Astrin and our Pathlight partner is a girl called Selena. I had mixed feelings about it, excited because it’s something new for us, yet apprehensive because I’m no good in collaborative work unless we’ve got the same taste in art. I had no experience working with autistic children, too. Thank God for Selena though. She’s a very silent girl who speaks at a barely audible volume, but really obedient and listens to every instruction I give. We chose flora and fauna as a theme and I told her to draw a design with some flowers and birds in her own style. Love her design so much! so cute and disney-like, not exactly me, but I can work with it. Astrin and I then worked on the painting part, it was pretty much trial and error, revealing and concealing things. Very satisfied with the whole process and outcome. I’m glad to say it’s a true collaboration and I’ve learnt more about autism as well. These kids are amazingly talented in art, would love to have students like that next time!
Construction for painting module. Metal sheets and wax.
We were allowed to use any material for this project and any format. For some reason I feel like using metal sheets. I tried many things like burning, crushing, scratching, folding it. I really wanted to create textures with acid solution, but decided not to due to time constraint and lack of guidance. After all the trials and errors, I liked the effect of burning wax on the metal sheet. It feels like creating an abstract painting, as I’ve learnt to control the wax after a while. Would love to create a larger piece of work with this method, but this would be at the expense of hurting my hand:(